Thursday, March 10, 2016

Sardine Paratha Puff

Again, I saw this recipe and idea on Facebook. It is really very easy and if you love sardine puffs or sardine curry puffs, you must try this.
You can use frozen puff pastry but a frozen paratha works well too.  I cooked the sardine on the stove whereby I sauteed some chopped onions and some potatoes cut into very small cubes. After that I mashed the sardines with a fork. Some people didn't cook the sardine. They simply drained the sardines, added some chopped onions, salt and pepper to taste, a bit of lemon or tamarind juice and chillies, for those who like them hot. Since I want my kids to eat these, I did not put chillies at all. However, I made a silly mistake of not draining the tomato sauce.
When your sardine filling is ready, it is time to assemble them. First, take out your frozen paratha and cut them into four triangles, like pizza slices. Honestly I had a hard time filling them with the sardines because my sardine was watery thus making them messy and hard to keep them in. So annoying! I used a fork to attach the sides but as you can see from the picture, some spilled out. So the fourth piece, I gave up and simply rolled the paratha into whatever shape as seen above. LOL. I didn't bother brushing them with an eggwash because making them was so annoying. I simply put them in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius and bake them for about 10 minutes.
10 minutes later, they came out of the oven and clearly some of the fillings spewed out. What a mess. I ate one piece last night after dinner and didn't bother to make more. So this morning I packed the remaining three pieces and asked Babycakes if she wants to try them. I also made an egg sandwich for her to eat in the car on the way to school. She tried one piece and she said it's yummy and whaddaya know, she walloped all three pieces! She even asked me to make more. She only had a bite of her egg sandwich because she was full by then. I'm so glad that she loves them so tonight I'm gonna try and drain a bit of the tomato sauce (if I can) and make more. I shall google on the best way to fold the paratha. Anyway, this is perfect for breakfast-on-the-go, teatime snack, morning snack and also lunchbox friendly.

P/S: Please excuse the unappetizing look but my Babycakes approved them and they're really yummy. :D

No comments: