Thursday, December 03, 2015

Easy Peasy Crust-less Quiche

Quiche (/ˈkʃ/ KEESH) is a savoury, open-faced pastry crust with a filling of savoury custard with cheese, meat, seafood, and/or vegetables. Quiche can be served hot or cold. It is part of French cuisine but is also popular in other countries, particularly as party food.
Source: Wikipedia 

However, making a crust is just too much work, especially on a weeknight. These days, there are a lot of recipes for 'crust-less quiches' which can be found on the internet. Quiche can be served as a side dish, as a snack or as a meal on its own. The fillings varies and depends on what you like and what you have in stock.


A few nights ago I made this crust-less quiche for our breakfast the next day. I have a floret of broccoli and some leftover minced meat with potatoes from another dish which I kept in the freezer. Instead of using a pie dish, I used this square baking dish so that the quiche can be cut easily and also for easy clean up.
I cut the broccoli into small pieces and blanched them in hot water for a while to soften them. Typically quiche recipes don't use flour but I wanted some 'body' to my 'quiche' so I mixed some all purpose flour as well. As for the recipe, I simply gauged the amount. Basically for this dish I used:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups full cream uht milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • some butter, melted
  • broccoli, cut and blanched
  • some minced meat and potatoes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • cheddar cheese slice, cut into tiny pieces
All ingredients were mixed and poured into a greased dish. I simply grease with butter.
Bake until golden brown and make sure it's thoroughly cooked. Let cool before cutting and serve warm. I packed this for my breakfast and also for my kids. You can eat it on its own or with chilli sauce or ketchup.
In the alternative, you can also make them into muffin sized quiche but cleaning the muffin tin is a pain so I used a dish instead. This was baked somewhere last week and I used sausages and mixed vegetables in this recipe. Like I said, you can add any fillings that you like e.g. tuna, mushroom, tomatoes, spinach, salmon, minced meat. The list is endless. Have fun baking!

No comments: