Thursday, June 05, 2014

The Day I Renewed My Passport

My passport expired somewhere in March so I had to renew it before we went for our holiday. I went to the Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara at Jalan Duta (near Publika) on one Friday morning. Of course the place was packed full of people. Then I stumbled upon this notification on the wall.
OK I can go to the Kaunter Khas! Fine I have to pay the normal rate but at least I don't have to wait long in the queue.
At that time my baby bump wasn't very obvious and I was wearing a loose top so I was a bit hesitant at first that they might not believe that I am pregnant but heck, I proceeded and tried my luck anyway. I went to the Kaunter Khas to take a number and innocently said "Saya pregnant". The lady said "Oh mengandung ye. OK" And she gave me a number. I mean, not that I was lying or anything but if she wants to check my tummy to see if I was really pregnant, I don't mind showing her. Hehe. I was lucky to get number 2033 and because at that time no 2029 was being  called. I only have 4 numbers ahead of me.

 See, so many people! Now everyone can fly kan? Hehe.

The process was quick and smooth. When I was called, they took my IC, took my thumb print and took a picture there and then and I was given a receipt. I then waited for a few minutes to make the payment, also at a Kaunter Khas. After that, they told me to come back in an hour to collect my passport. I contemplated on going to Publika to kill time or go to the office and come back some other time to collect the passport but it would be a hassle. Finding a parking spot is difficult because there were just too many people. So I waited around, had a can of Milo and a roti krim and read a newspaper. 50 minutes later, I went up again and waited for my number to be called. Then they made an announcement saying that the system is down. -_____- This lasted for about 20 minutes and then they started calling the numbers again. I looked but my number wasn't called so I went to the counter and asked if my passport is ready for collection. To my surprise, it was ready and I can collect it. If I had not asked about it, I would be waiting there until God-knows-when. 
Moral of the story is always be on the lookout for notices and always be ringan mulut to ask. Unless you don't mind wasting time waiting there all day.

No comments: